Skip to Content

College of Arts & Sciences
Department of Psychology INTERNAL

Fellowships, Scholarships, Awards and Travel

Fellowships and Scholarships
All graduate students are encouraged to apply for extramural funding from federal and state agencies.  In particular, there are NIH graduate fellowships and NSF graduate fellowships that, while quite competitive, are also very prestigous.  There are also graduate fellowships from various other organizations and foundations that are usually specific to a type of research field;  you should consult your mentor about these opportunities.
Departmental Awards
Ralph H. Tindall Fellowship
The Department has an endowed award used to support students over the summer while working to complete the dissertation. An announcement calling for applications for the award is made by e-mail each spring via the department's graduate student listserv.
Student Loans from Emergency Fund
The Department currently is receiving regular anonymous donations earmarked specifically for emergency loans to graduate student. Two loan categories have been established. "Short-term" loans will be made to students for a period not to exceed 60 days. These loans will be of $50 or less. "Long-term" loans will be made for periods exceeding 60 days. These loans will be of $400 or less and will be made at a yearly interest rate of 4%. Please contact Dr. Bret Kloos for more information.

Graduate School Fellowships and Awards
The USC Graduate School has a limited number of competitive and renewable awards for graduate students in our program. Nominations for these fellowships are made by the Experimental Graduate Program and the process occurs in the spring of each year.  You will receive notices of when to apply for these awards from the Program Director. The Graduate School awards a limited number of Summer Dissertation Fellowships to students in the final phases of completion of the dissertation, but the student must have no other support for that period of time to be eligible.More information can be found on the Graduate School’s website at: .  The Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences also awards some Dissertation Fellowships for the final year of graduate study and the process of nomination is in the spring.  Again, you will be notified by the Program Director about the application process.

Funding for Travel to Scientific Conferences
Other than grant funding from your mentor and travel awards from scientific organizations, there are two main sources of funding for student travel: 1) Graduate School and 2) Department of Psychology.  You should first apply for funding from the Graduate School and this should be done as early as possible; they tend to run out of funds particularly in the late spring. After you receive word of funding from the Graduate School, you should apply for funds from the Department of Psychology.

Graduate school
For information on eligibility, restrictions, and how to apply for funding, visit:

Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology will support one to two trips per year depending upon its budget in that year.  If the travel does not involve airfare, the award is typically $250 per trip and if the travel involves airfare, the award is $500 per trip. However, the department requests that you use the graduate school awards first. Any trips beyond two per year, or that cost more than the funds received will have to be paid for by you.  To make the case for the department funds, you should indicate how the trip advances the academic and scholarly mission of the department (e.g., paper presentations, conference presentations, etc.). In your letter you should include the the dates and purpose of the conference and the role you will play (present paper; Presidential address). This letter should be sent to the Graduate Coordinator.  She will let you know whether the Department has approved the funding. 
Prior to travelling, you must fill out the department Travel Authorization form and give the form to Graduate Coordinator for a signature. A TA form must be completed and filed PRIOR to the departure date or reimbursement of expenses will not be approved. Original receipts must be submitted for reimbursement of travel and lodging expenses, registration fees, and parking. Receipts for meals are unnecessary since meals are reimbursed on a per diem basis. Reimbursement must be consistent with university guidelines.